ann-over-istanbul-small.jpg

After finishing a 32-year teaching career with two years at the Koc School in Istanbul, Turkey, I retired from teaching to write, play, and adventure near my northwoods home near Lake Superior in Minnesota.

Enter long-term subbing. I returned to Istanbul to teach a total of five more semesters, some at Koç and some at Robert College. What an adventure I had!

My dear Friend Edda Renker Weissenbacher and I collaborated on a guidebook, Istanbul’s Bazaar Quarter ~ Backstreet Walking Tours. It was published by Çitlembik Publishing in 2009 and is available on Amazon and in many bookstores.

I’ve recently finished a memoir of my years teaching in Turkey, You must only to love them, Lessons Learned in Turkey. It’s been well-received, and I’m happy to answer any questions you may have about my experiences.

My years in Turkey have broadened my life as well as my perspective. The world is filled with amazing people and fascinating places—and the Turks proved to be an incredibly warm, kind and giving people. I feel fortunate to have seen and experienced what I have these past years, and I look forward to many years of exploring and serving our world community. There’s much for all of us to do; my years abroad have made me keenly aware of our global responsibilities.

Here’s to world peace!

8 thoughts on “About Ann Marie Mershon

1. Wow, I can’t believe I’ve just now found your blog. I’m fascinated to find another Minnesotan with a strong tie to Turkey. I’m from Mora, but live in Adana Turkey with my wife who’s from Antakya. I’ve been to Grand Marais and love it. We took a family getaway to Tofte 2 summers ago and had a wonderful dinner in Grand Marais. I hope you’re enjoying your retirement.

2. Wow! Wow! Wow!

I am a Turk who lives in the state, and maried to american. When I took my wife and her family
    to Turkey (Turkiye), they had great time and experience, but when I saw you guys beeng even Ali Samiyen Hell (our stadium, I am a galatasaray fans too) Now I am thinking my vacation with my family was nothing!

Sincerly

Mukbil Aktan

3. Greetings Anne Marie!
    Looking out at our freshly fallen several inches of snow here in Grand Marais, I’m quite jealous of your spring awakenings!
    I am writing for a 4th grader whose writing assignment was to pick her favorite writer. However, she was unable to find an address. Do you accept snail mail? If so, does it need to be sent care of your publisher?
    I thoroughly enjoy your updates!
    Shelby

4. Hello Ann Marie,

I’d like to be in touch with you about a video we are producing about some of the Hans featured in your wonderful book. Can you get back to me by email, if you are at all interested?

Best,

Ansel

5. Dear Ann Marie,

I am a picture researcher for Wiley and I am contacting you because one of our authors would like to reproduce your photograph of a Turkish tombstone showing a fez on top. This would be for reproduction inside an academic book called “Investigating Culture” by Carol Delaney. I would be very glad to hear from you if your photograph is available in print quality for reproduction.

Thank you,

Kitty Bocking
    For John Wiley & Sons Ltd

6. I need to be doing some work and I’ve just spent the last hour on your blog which I find mind blowing and equally moving. I am so glad that you shared! There’s a couple of photos I saved to my computer and I would love to use them on Facebook with your permission. If not, I’ll just keep them to look at on my computer. Photos about cat houses on the street and a sign that says “we care for our animals” or some such. I’m a veterinarian and it struck me hard. Cheers!