Death to America? WHAT???????

I’ve lived in Turkey nearly two years now, and I wonder if my view of the world has changed. I wonder, too, if I’ve changed. Scary!

I’ve had a great time here, filled with incredible experiences. I’ve toured countless mosques, learned to speak some Turkish, met some fascinating people, visited places along the three seas surrounding Turkey (and beyond), as well as having opened my eyes and heart to this culture. Lucky me.

Many of my Turkish friends have commented that these weekly missives have opened their eyes as well. They’ve revisited Turkey through the eyes of a yabanci (foreigner). They’ve been forced to scrutinize their world a bit more carefully, and also to notice the precious details they take for granted: the call to prayer, the sparkling Bosporus, the sun setting over distant hills, the occasional Christian church, the bustle of a street market, even a beggar along Istaklal.

I’ve had an opportunity to view America through different eyes as well. I’ve listened to student presentations about media’s negative influence in their lives and others about the exploitation of third world workers by U.S. corporations. I’ve heard countless diatribes (from both students and adults) against the War in Iraq. I visited an antiwar rally/tent in Kadikoy. I’ve been asked repeatedly, “What do you think of Bush?” and been treated warmly when I responded “Not much.” I’ve worried about the impression America has made on the rest of the world, and it isn’t pretty. I’m afraid the days of Americans basking in admiration may be behind us.

Just this week I listened to a public radio podcast, “Death to America.” It’s part of a program called The Changing World, and in the May 30th program (available online at pri.org), host Michael Goldfarb deals specifically with Turkey. His presentation is a bit unsettling, albeit true. America is not greatly loved on this side of the Atlantic (an understatement).

According to a survey by the Pew Memorial Trust, in 2000 over half of the people in Turkey reported a favorable view of America. A recent poll shows that figure has fallen to 12%. It’s not only Turkey; only 37% of Germans report a positive view of America, and 23% of Spaniards. In fact, only two of the countries surveyed had over 60% of their population reporting a positive regard for America: Japan and Nigeria. Very disturbing.

This disenchantment is not only about the war; it’s also about broken promises, hidden agendas, and exploitation. People have lost faith that America is an honest nation that acts according to honest values. Hmmm…

There’s a strong contingent of fundamentalist Muslims who hate America and would love to see it destroyed. That was made more than clear in the podcast. A Turkish journalist said, “No one in the Middle East, including Turkey, believes America has good intentions.” The faith in American values has been replaced by skepticism, fear, and hatred. Turkish students no longer clamor to attend American colleges; many feel unwelcome, and even fearful. What a sad commentary.

One of my readers back home sent me a very disturbing e-mail expressing the exact reverse view: he feels that Islam is the scourge of the world and wants to see the Muslim world destroyed. It’s painful to see this fundamentalist hatred on either side. Many people perceive recent global conflicts as a religious war between the Christian and Islamic worlds. Others perceive recent American actions as imperialism. This extremism is disturbing, though I’ve seen little of it personally.

I have to admit, in spite of anti-American sentiments over here, my experience  has been positive. I feel safer here than I do at home. People have been both warm and friendly, probably because as people we deal with each other as individuals, not as representatives of a country or a faith. It’s not me that the Turks dislike, it’s my government, its war, and its aggressive capitalism. I get that. They don’t hold it against me, though they often ask me why it’s happened. I wish I could explain, but I can’t.

What I do know is that everyone—all across the globe—needs to work on humility, tolerance, and benevolence. Isn’t that what both Christ and Muhammed  taught us? Somehow those crucial lessons have been lost in the shuffle—in the struggle.

It will take years for America to rebuild the trust that other countries once had in us. I hope it’s not too late.

5 thoughts on “Death to America? WHAT???????

1. Ann Marie,

I’m so glad you were able to listen to that podcast. Did it make me afraid to come to Turkey? No way! Does it prepare me for dialogue, discussion and learning? You bet! Thank heavens for the BBC and Public Radio International, and thanks for writing about this.

Jessica

2. Ann,
    thank you for this article! I always have trouble explaining people why I love coming to america, because my fellow germans are truely not thrilled about the american way of life as it presents itself over here. Just remeber the recent G8, where a whole town was fenced in to seperate the protesters from the summit and Mr. Bush. I do not understand a lot of politics and why it ALWAYS seems to act against the people but I do know: I love America for my dear friends and the beautiful landscapes. I don´t care where you and the rest of the Brady-bunch come from or who you pray to at night. I just love you as a role model and great friend!!

Jana

3. Oh, Ann…I love you to death but I really wish you could see beyond the relativism. PRI is the FoxNews of the left; pure and simple. Same with the BBC.

4. Hi Ann Marie,
    Amen to your comments about our foreign policy. There is an American Television series called “30 Days” that was aired on the FX channel. One of the episodes tracks a very conservative Christian that spends 30 days in a Muslim community, living with a Muslim family, in Deerborn, MI. It is the only attempt that I have seen in our media to try to bridge the gap that has developed between the two religious groups. I’ll send a copy of the show to you when you get state side.

Phil

5. Re: Gene’s comment… can I ask, what did you mean about “relativism”? It was a comment meant for Ann Marie, but since it was I who mentioned the BBC and PRI, I thought I’d ask.